Company Name :
Mærsk Line India Pvt Ltd, Crewing Division, 12th Floor, 'A', Urmi Estate, Lower Parel
Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, India
022 3340 7888
Company Type :
Click here to find more jobs posted by this employer
The A.P. Moller - Maersk Group is a worldwide conglomerate. We operate in some 130 countries and have a workforce of some 108,000 employees. In addition to owning one of the world’s largest shipping companies, we’re involved in a wide range of activities in the energy, logistics, retail and manufacturing industries.
The Executive Board handles day-to-day management and is responsible for our financial results and business growth. The Executive Board consists of Group CEO and Partner Nils Smedegaard Andersen, Trond Westlie, Jakob Thomasen, Claus V. Hemmingsen, Søren Skou and Kim Fejfer.
For more than 100 years, our deeply held values have governed the way we deal with our employees, customers, and society in general. Our employees may come from every corner of the world, and we may work in many fields and business areas, yet we all share the same set of basic values.
Our Group was founded by Arnold Peter Møller in 1904. Following Arnold Peter Møller’s death in 1965, his son, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller, assumed leadership of the group, which – thanks to initiative, foresight and enterprise – has grown into a major international business.
The parent company of the Group, A.P. Møller - Mærsk A/S, is listed on the Danish Stock Exchange, and has around 69,000 shareholders. The company's main shareholder, however, is The A.P. Møller and Chastine Mc-Kinney Møller Foundation, which was established by company founder A.P. Møller in 1953 to ensure that his life's work would always be owned by parties that held a long-term view of the company's development, in the spirit of the founder and according to his principles.
Shipowner A.P. Møller was born in 1876 into a family with many relations to the sea and to shipping. In 1895, A.P. Møller started as a trainee with two of his father’s business contacts in Newcastle, England. Two years later he moved to the East Prussian city of Königsberg – today Kaliningrad – and later to St. Petersburg, working within exports and shipbroking.
In February 1904, A.P. Møller returned to Denmark to take up the post as manager of the chartering department of C.K. Hansen, one of the major shipping and brokerage firms in Copenhagen of that time.
In April 1904, at the age of 28, A. P. Møller established, together with his father, Captain Peter Mærsk Møller, A/S Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg (the Steamship Company Svendborg) and bought a second-hand vessel, which was renamed SVENDBORG. The company had its first office in A.P. Møller’s childhood home “Villa Anna” in Svendborg.
Shipowner A.P. Møller retained his job with C.K. Hansen while slowly building up the new business.
1910-1919 Own Establishment and New Ventures
The ambitious A.P. Møller, located in Copenhagen, did not always agree with the other board members in The Steamship Company Svendborg. He therefore wished to form a new steamship company in which he himself would have the final say and Dampskibsselskabet af 1912, Aktieselskab (the Steamship Company of 1912) was established with a board based in Copenhagen.
In 1913, A.P. Møller terminated his position with C.K. Hansen and established his own firm with offices in Copenhagen’s venerable Stock Exchange.
During the First World War A.P. Møller managed the Shipping Companies cautiously and with constant care, and both of them had strengthened their positions at the end of the war.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller
A.P. Møller and his American born wife Chastine had four children. Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was born in 1913 and would eventually take over the leadership of the A.P. Moller – Maersk Group from his father.
Odense Steel Shipyard
From 1918 A.P. Møller took a long lease of roughly 15 acres and also bought an adjoining piece of land by the Odense Canal from the Odence City Council. Here he established by own means a newbuilding shipyard with two building berths.
The first six newbuildings from the Yard were all steamships, of which the first was delivered on 26 May 1920, but already in 1921 the first motor vessel was delivered. The business was doing well, and a third building berth was added in 1924-1926. In 1927 the Yard delivered its first tanker.
1920-1929 Liner Shipping and the Tanker Trade
From Tramp Trade to Liner Shipping
Already at the beginning of the 1920s A.P. Møller considered the possibilities of going into the liner business. The tramp trade, where vessels sailed from port to port depending on the demand, was anticipated to lose ground to liners in time and, moreover, participation in liner services was in keeping with Mr A.P. Møller’s policy on investment and risk diversification.
This of course required careful consideration and thorough preparation – and a favourable agreement. Such an agreement was entered into with the Ford Motor Company, and on 14 July 1928 the m.s. LEISE MÆRSK left Baltimore on its first voyage between the American east coast via the Panama Canal to the Far East and back. The cargo consisted of Ford car parts and other general cargo.
Today, Maersk Line is one of the world’s leading liner shipping companies.
The first Tanker Vessels enter the Maersk Fleet
As the industrial society became increasingly dependent on stable oil supplies, the need for tankers increased. A.P. Møller’s interest in this new business area increased as the company saw the possibility of not only increasing but also stabilising earnings.
Having concluded a number of time charter deals for several years, the Shipping Companies’ first tankers were contracted, all of them for delivery in 1928.
Two of the five tankers were built at the Copenhagen Floating Dock and Shipyard (completed by Burmeister & Wain in Copenhagen) and the last three at Odense Steel Shipyard.
1930-1939 Consolidation of the Business
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller
Having graduated from school, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller took up trainee positions with various companies within shipping, brokerage and banking in Denmark, Great Britain, France and Germany. Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller returned to his father’s firm in 1938 and became a member of the board of The Steamship Company Svendborg in 1939.
Compared to its Danish counterparts, the Maersk fleet enjoyed faster growth than any other between the two great wars, and by 1939 it accounted for about one-fifth of Denmark’s merchant fleet. The expansion was almost entirely made up of new motor-powered vessels, a large number of which were built at A.P. Møller’s own shipyard in Odense.
1940-1949 Operation in Wartime
Occupation and Departure
When the German troops invaded Denmark on 9 April 1940, 36 of the Maersk fleet’s vessels, all of them large tankers and liners, were away from Danish waters and therefore outside A.P. Møller’s control.
The evening before the invasion A.P. Møller’s senior staff met “to go through the entire fleet, every voyage of every ship, its freight commitment, the charter party and bill of lading, and see what instructions it would be appropriate to give each individual ship”. The outcome was “PERMANENT SPECIAL INSTRUCTION ONE”, which was sent out to all vessels.
It was endeavored to carry on the activities of the company from Copenhagen, but due to difficulties with communication among other things, it was decided that Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was to go to the USA to manage the activities. Emma and Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller were married on 22 May 1940, and two days later Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was taken on as partner in the Firm of A.P. Møller. Already on 10 June the couple arrived in New York, and it took more than seven years before they returned to Denmark. In co-operation with other Danish shipowner representatives in the USA, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller attempted to employ the Danish vessels, until the American Government took command of them in June 1941. After that he was mainly engaged in preparations for peacetime.
In 1943 Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller established Interseas Shipping Co., Inc., which shortly after changed its name to first Moller Shipping Company and later Moller Steamship Company. The company, which in 1946 became agent for Maersk Line in the USA, laid the groundwork for the present Maersk Inc.
First Liner Services after the Second World War
After the cessation of hostilities in 1945, the priority for A.P. Møller was to get their vessels moving again, before competitors captured the market. The Maersk fleet had been badly hit by many losses during the war, and the remaining vessels – of which some had still not been returned – were run-down. Furthermore, the Shipping Board’s demand for duty voyages delayed the resumption of own activities.
Despite these obstacles and a necessary reorganisation of the Maersk Line organisation, A.P. Møller succeeded, as early as March 1946, in resuming the monthly sailings on the so-called Panama Line from the American east coast via the Panama Canal to the Far East. CHASTINE MÆRSK made Maersk Line’s first voyage after the Second World War with departure from New York on 16 March 1946 and called at Manila, the Philippines and Shanghai, China.
Gradual Takeover of Responsibilities
When the 34-year-old Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller returned to Denmark in November 1947 after seven years in the USA, he relieved A.P. Møller of a great deal of work. In his father’s later years he took over an increasingly large share of the daily management responsibilities in the Shipping Companies and affiliated companies, and a distribution of the responsibilities was agreed between father and son.
According to the original agreement A.P. Møller maintained the main responsibility for the Shipping Department (which operated the trampers), Tankers, Newbuildings, Purchase & Sales, appointment of captains as well as the financial, fiscal and monetary affairs.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller took over the responsibility for the daily supervision of the Ship Inspection, Engine Inspection, conversions, Chartering Department, insurance affairs, internal audit, Line Department and the contact to associated companies, among other things.